Since 1906, Wallis Bank has survived the Great Depression, both World Wars, and the recent Great Recession without taking any government assistance.
Provide superior solutions and service for our customers.
A quick, honest response every time.
We are a full-service community bank with the ability to serve the smallest rural customers to the largest international customers while still maintaining the highest level of personal service.
Our mission is to provide financial services that are unsurpassed in customer satisfaction.
We are a team dedicated to continuous improvement in an environment that promotes TRUST, Personal Growth, and Mutual Respect.
To accomplish our mission we will:
- – Create and deliver financial products and services which represent exceptional value to our customers.
- – Provide a stimulating and challenging work environment which encourages, develops, and rewards excellence.
- – Diligently serve our communities with integrity, pride, and professionalism.
- – Achieve consistently superior financial performance.
- – Create value for our shareholders.
Settlement in the Wallis area began in the late 1830s. In 1880 when the Gulf, Colorado, and Santa Fe Railway built a spur from Galveston to Temple, circumventing Houston, the community became known as Wallis Station and later Wallis, after a rail company executive. As the population grew with new residents and businesses, the community’s need for a bank became apparent.
January 10, 1906, a group of Wallis citizens organized Wallis State Bank. The original organizers and directors were D. N. Harris, F. D. Brandt, L. Tillotson, J. H. Thompson, J. F. Walters, W. A. Matthaei, J. W. Johnston, C. J. Dabney, and R. W. Guyler. The first president of the bank was D.N. Harris, with a total of 13 presidents over the past 100 years. Two of the original organizers, Dabney and Guyler, later served as presidents of the bank. J. F. Esterak was elected president in 1932 and served until his retirement in 1967. His length of service, 31 years, is the longest of the 13 presidents. Theo Viaclovsky advanced to the presidency in 1964 and served until 1978. The flagpole in the front of the main bank building was erected in his memory by members of his family.
Wallis Bank began operations in a wooden frame building where it remained until 1912, before a two-story brick building was erected. The Board of Directors leased portions of the second floor to the justice of the peace and a Masonic lodge. This building served as the bank’s home for the next 46 years until the present building was constructed in 1968, which replaced the old two-story structure. There have been a number of major modifications to enlarge the main office, as the bank has grown and expanded over the years.
On June 14, 1976, the bank became a member of First City Bancshares. In 1989, the bank became a member of Louise Bancshares. During that time, C. J. Overgoner, William R. Jenkins, and Michael Turner served as presidents of the bank.
After new ownership took over the Bank in the early 1990s, the Bank has expanded by opening branches and offices in Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Fulshear, and Los Angeles. In 2019, the bank officially updated its name from Wallis State Bank to Wallis Bank.
The goal of Wallis Bank is to continue to provide quality financial products and services with an irreplaceable personal touch that has been developed through more than a century of experience.