Settlement in the Wallis area began in the late 1830s. In 1880, when the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railway built a spur from Galveston to Temple, circumventing Houston, the community became known as Wallis Station and later Wallis, after a rail company executive. As the population grew with new residents and businesses, the community's need for a bank became apparent.
January 10, 1906, a group of Wallis citizens organized the Wallis State Bank. The original organizers and directors were D. N. Harris, F. D. Brandt, L. Tillotson, J. H. Thompson, J. F. Walters, W. A. Matthaei, J. W. Johnston, C. J. Dabney and R. W. Guyler. The first president of the bank was D. N. Harris, with a total of 13 presidents over the past 100 years. Two of the original organizers, Dabney and Guyler, later served as presidents of the bank. J. F. Esterak was elected president in 1932 and served until his retirement in 1967. His length of service, 31 years, is the longest of the 13 presidents. Theo Viaclovsky advanced to the presidency in 1964 and served until 1978. The flagpole in the front of the main bank building was erected in his memory, by members of his family.
Wallis State Bank began operations in a wooden frame building where it remained until 1912, at the time a two-story brick building was erected. The Board of Directors leased portions of the second floor to the justice of the peace and a Masonic lodge. This building served as the bank's home for the next 46 years until the present building was constructed in 1968, which replaced the old two-story structure. There have been a number of major modifications to enlarge the main office, as the bank has grown and expanded over the years.
On June 14, 1976, the bank became a member of First City Bancshares. In 1989, the bank became a member of Louise Bancshares. During that time, C. J. Overgoner, William R. Jenkins, and Michael Turner served as presidents of the bank.
Musa A. Dakri, along with Wallis citizens and other investors, purchased the bank on June 3, 1991. A tremendous amount of growth has occurred during the period of Dakri's stewardship. In all categories, the bank has grown more in the last 16 years than it did in the prior 85 years.
Since 1991, the bank has opened branches in Fulshear, Meadows Place, Eagle Lake and two branches in the Houston area, one close to the Galleria area and, in the Town & Country area. In 2004, a branch was opened in San Antonio, which is the first branch outside the Houston area.
In 2008 Wallis State Bank proudly opened a location on Harrisburg Blvd. in Houston's historic East End, reaching out to the Hispanic community. In the spring of 2010, another branch was opened off I-45 South at Almeda Genoa.
In the spring of 2011, Wallis State Bank opened a 10th location. The Northwest branch is located off HWY 290 and FM 1960.
In the spring of 2013, Wallis State Bank opened an 11th location; the first in the Dallas area.
The goal of Wallis State Bank is to continue to provide the quality financial products and services with an irreplaceable personal touch that has been developed through more than a century of experience.